Here are some tips to create a streamlined laundry:
- You'll need a metre plus clearance in front of appliances and adequate clearance for top loaders.
- Position appliances so doors don't block through traffic.
- Save space with a frontloading washer and wall mounted dryer or combined washer dryer.
- Include extra work surfaces for sorting, folding, ironing and sewing.
Fittings, fixtures and finishes
- Stainless steel sinks easy maintenance.
- Choose hardwearing, stain resistant, waterproof bench top materials.
- Laundry cabinetry lasts longer if finishes are heat and humidity resistant.
- Consider custom-building closets to store your appliances. E.g. measure your mop bucket, vacuum, broom etc…
- Add extra cupboards for cleaning, ironing, gardening, DIY and sports equipment.
- If space permits, install a fold down ironing board.
- If you have children or pets, include a high shelf for toxic household chemicals.
- Allow space for a dirty laundry hamper (under the chute if you have one).
- Pullout wire baskets set under the workbench are an efficient means for sorting clean clothes.
- Sturdy wall or door mounted racks/hooks are handy for tools.